Model your vision down to the last detail.
3ds Max brings performance enhancements to a slew of modeling tools enabling artists to work faster, boost productivity and focus on being creative.
Offering a rich and flexible toolset to create premium designs with full artistic control:
• Create massive worlds in games
• Visualise high- quality architectural renderings
• Model finely detailed interiors and objects
• Bring characters and features to life with animation and VFX
Driving artist productivity and creativity with 3ds Max.
3ds Max brings significant updates that maximise artist productivity and minimise workflow disruption. This update includes improved Scene File Save performance, modeling enhancements to tools like Smart Extrude, an improved UV experience with the integration of Unfold3d, and more.
Here is what’s new in Autodesk 3ds Max:
File Save Performance
Scene file save performance has been greatly improved in 3ds Max to minimise workflow disruption. Scenes save more than twice as fast on average than in previous versions. Performance increase will vary based on factors like size and complexity of a scene and hardware capabilities.
Unfold3d for the unwrap UVW Modifier
Unfold3d has been integrated into 3ds Max allowing you to produce even better UV-mapping results. Artists working with UV data within the Edit UV window of the Unwrap UVW modifier will have access to Unfold3D's enhanced peel, relax, and packing algorithms.
Enhance Smart Extrude
Performing interactive extrude operations has never been easier. Smart Extrude has been further enhanced to offer the ability to perform multiple “partial” cut-through operations on Editable Poly objects in just one action. When performing an inward or outward Smart Extrude operation, results that partially overlap other existing poly surfaces will be added or subtracted, and then cleanly stitched together along the intersection. This offers more flexibility and ease-of-use for interactive poly modelling operations.
Updated Tablet Pen Pressure Support
3ds Max now supports the full range of pressure sensitivity that is offered by a pen tablet device. You can make use of the full range of brush pressure available in all 3ds Max brush tools and functions such as painting Skin Weights, Viewport Canvas, and Vertex Paint.
Building upon popular request, the Symmetry modifier’s welding algorithms have been updated to provide even more predictable results by finding matching pair vertices on the mirrored surface. The tolerance threshold now enables welding to solve across all open gaps along the symmetry line by looking for all matching pairs of open edges within the tolerance distance. These enhancements will make symmetry operations faster and more accurate than before, even on open surfaced models.
Improved Unwrap UVW Modifier Performance
Various performance optimisations have been applied to the Unwrap UVW modifier to improve threading and overall processing of the modifier. The Unwrap UVW modifier can now be applied up to 8.5 times faster, while the Edit UV window will open up to 2.5 times faster. Artists will also experience a faster selection and manipulation of UV data in the Edit UV window.
Security Settings Management
3ds Max now includes security settings that can be managed by IT administrators. This will offer you greater peace of mind as it enforces homogeneous security settings for all 3ds Max installations and consequently, helps include 3ds Max in software security policies studio-wide.
USD for 3ds Max (Public Beta)
USD for 3ds Max now supports exporting animation data such as node transform animations and vertex animation cache. It also includes improved performance for exporting mesh and scene data, and enhanced support for exporting/importing Photometric Lights and cameras. USDView is also now shipped with required dependencies.
• Added export option to include/exclude hidden nodes in USD Exporter.
• Added options to control export of map channel data from meshes.
• Added an option to automatically open exported USD files in USDView after exporting a scene.
Modelling & Texturing features include:
- Spline workflows - Create and animate geometry in several intuitive ways with enhanced spline tools.
- Open shading language support - Create or use pre-existing procedural OSL maps with any supported renderer.
- Chamfer modifier - Create best-in-class procedural edge modelling details with simple and precise tools.
- Automated retopology and mesh repair - Automatically optimise the geometry of high-resolution models to create a clean, quad-based mesh geometry.
- Material, texture and colour editor - Apply material finishes, change textures and use vibrant colours to make your designs photorealistic.
- Smart Extrude - Interactively extrude faces of 3D objects. Rebuild and stitch together adjacent faces automatically.
- Mesh and surface modelling - Create parametric and organic objects with polygon, subdivision surface and spline-based modelling features.
- NEW | Baking to texture - Streamlined, intuitive and fully scriptable texture-baking experience.
- NEW | Weighted normals modifier - Built-in weighted normal calculator that can be directly applied to 3D models allowing you to create precise designs.
Animation & Effects features include:
- 3ds Max Fluids - Create realistic liquid behaviours such as water, oil, lava as well as replicate gravity and collision effects.
- Character animation and rigging tools - Create procedural animation and character rigging with CAT, biped and crowd animation tools.
- General animation tools - Use keyframe and procedural animation tool, and also view and edit animation trajectories directly in the viewport.
- Motion Paths - Preview and adjust animation paths directly in the viewport.
- Particle Flow effects - Create sophisticated particle effects such as water, fire, spray and snow.
- New plugins -Access hundreds of industry leading 3rd-party plugins from our extensive community.
Rendering features include:
- Brilliant Viewport - Reduce design interactions with render quality viewport previews, displaying PBR materials and camera effects directly.
- Arnold for 3ds Max - Use Arnold GPU Renderer to view scene changes in real time, including lighting, materials and camera.
- Activeshade viewport - An interactive rendering experience that allows you to see your scene in a near-final rendering quality as you are working.
- Physical Camera - Simulate real-life camera settings such as shutter speed, aperture, depth of field, exposure and more.
- 3ds Max Batch - Leverage the power of 3ds Max for automation by using 3ds Max as a true command-line tool.
- Scene Converter - Seamlessly and consistently change materials, lights, cameras, renderers from one to another.
Find your nearest Autodesk Authorised Partner
Autodesk Authorised Partners come in all shapes and sizes – selecting the one that’s right for you will help you reach your goals faster, more economically and help your over-deliver to your customers.Find your nearest Autodesk Authorised Partner here >
Do you have a question? Enter your details to get in touch with one of our team members.
Looking for a quote? Fill in your details here and we will make sure that one of our Authorised Autodesk Partners contacts you.
Your personal data will only be used for the processing of your request for information or registration and will be automatically deleted after 30 days. More information can be found in our privacy statement.